Tuesday 11 October 2016

#131 'Sunrise, Lyme Regis' 8x10"


This weekend Husband and I had a whistle stop trip to Lyme Regis on the Dorset Coast. We only spent 26 hours there but enough to explore and do 3 paintings :-)
This was actually the second painting, I want to revisit the first tomorrow and then post it.

Gorgeous, calm sunny morning, although very chilly! Sunrises tend to be more fleeting than sunsets, so you have to paint like billio to capture the sky and light. I enjoy the challenge! Most of the painting is a variation of blues and browns/oranges and then it's getting the tones right and working together.
I didn't now how I was going to tackle the little bit of town showing as it was a mass of buildings. Simplify! I put a sweep of dark and then painted over the top with lighter shapes, picking out the roofs and taking care to paint the skyline carefully.

1 comment:

  1. I like the darkness of the land contrasted to the beautiful blues of the sea and sky. Simple and striking.

    ReplyDelete