Wednesday 26 October 2016

#137 'Sunrise, Staithes Beach' 9.5x12"



This is the last sunrise from Staithes, I have enjoyed painting at this quiet time of the day and capturing the beautiful colours which are so quick to disappear. 
I have been experimenting with thicker paint, and not doing an under painting to start, just doing it in one thick go. Which is working well unless I'm being indecisive or unsure about an area and then the paint gets too thick, so I scrape off and start again! I like the thick lucsious quality of the oils although it's harder to control when there is loads of it on the board.
The early light really influences the whole scene, so to harmonise the palette, every colour mix I add a dab of peach colour from the sky. 
I painted this Monday morning we drove to the Lake District straight after. Lake paintings to follow :-)

1 comment:

  1. Again a lovely early morning feel to this painting. Adding the peach colour from the sky to the surroundings gives that slightly misty early morning atmosphere. I bet you enjoyed lathering on the thick paint, it works really well on the land elements and sets off your signature skies.

    ReplyDelete