Tuesday 4 July 2017

#199 'Sunflowers' 8x8"


I went to RHS Wisley with a painter friend. She is a botanical artist and has not painted outdoors before.
These variety of sunflowers are called 'Baby Face' and when people walked past them they made them smile. 
Yellows are always tricky to get the tonal variation right. I mixed a light violet colour the complimentary to the yellow which helps with the shadow areas.
I repainted the lower flower 3 times! The shape wasn't right, I ended up drawing out the basic shape before I painted it, which I'm now pleased with.

I wouldn't have chosen to go to Wisley but enjoyed painting these happy flowers.


A pic of the little sunflowers

1 comment:

  1. Sunflowers - always a winner but this is lovely stuff in a way that pleases the mind as well as the sense of seeing.

    ReplyDelete