Monday 4 September 2017

#223 'Bosham Harbour' 9x12"


I planned to go down to Bosham on advice from an artist saying it was gorgeous early morning. Somehow I picked the most stunning day, so happy. 
Got there just after sunrise and the cloud formation and reflections in the water....

I painted the clouds quickly, they were fun to do. Using Pale Naples Yellow ( I prefer the standard N. Yellow as you can always lighten it) I used it for warmth in the clouds then added it to Cerulean blue for the water.
The boats were swinging about on the tide quite a bit. The posts were a challenge put them in or not? I'm happy with the yellow and black one and good to have an upright in there as it's quite a horizontal composition. The two in the corner also help balance the composition without them there would be a big gap!

It's already been framed and into the Haslemere Art Society Exhibition...more on that in next post.

5 comments:

  1. The Yellow/Black vertical navigation buoy indicates 'Keep to the West'. It's easy to remember from the other 3 because it resembles a woman's waist..........W. Including this and the posts add authenticity to your work apart from the composition.. A delightful painting Clare.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your informative comment Michael. Really pleased you like the painting :-) Clare

      Delete
  2. Love the pearly light, and it adds to my enjoyment reading the stories that accompany your paintings, Clare. I added Cadmium Yellow to my recent plein air sky at Alexandra Palace and had to scrape it off in a hurry! I had some Naples Yellow Light too and that was a million times better. I love how you capture that delicate light without it being wishy washy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, its always a juggle between intensity of colour and lightness in tone, experimenting with which colours give that - as you did with your cadmium and naples yellow, plein air is a learning process! Clare

      Delete
  3. P.S. I like Michael's comment - very informative for those of us with no experience of these things. I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete